Dr.-Ing. Axel Loewe
Assistant Professor (Akademischer Rat)|
Head of Computational Cardiac Modeling, KIT Junior Research Group leader, Young Investigator Network (YIN) member
KIT-Nachwuchsgruppenleiter, Mitglied im Young Investigator Network (YIN)
phone: +49 721 608 - 42790
fax: +49 721 608 - 42789
Axel Loewe∂kit edu
|Seminar über ausgewählte Kapitel der Biomedizinischen Technik||Seminar||
Tu: 14:00 h - 15:30 h
Kl. ETI, Building 11.10
Tue. 09:45 h – 11:15 h
|Modellierung der Elektrophysiologie des menschlichen Herzens||Bachelor or master thesis|
- Alban Lefebvre, Axel Loewe, Mariappan S Nadar, Jun Liu, Zero Communication Block Partitioning, US Patent App. 2014/0037228 A1 (2012P18991 US01, 13/950,535, 2012P18991 US, 61/679,132)
- Jun Liu, Zhili Yang, Mariappan S Nadar, Nirmal Janardhanan, Qiu Wang, Axel Loewe, Multi-stage Magnetic Resonance Reconstruction for Parallel Imaging Applications, US Patent App. 2014/0133724 A1 (2012P26350 US01, 14/054,003, 2012P26350 US, 61/724,470)
Biophysical Society Travel Award for the 63rd Annual Meeting 2019 in Baltimore, MD (USA).
Bill and Gary Sanders Poster Award, Conference "Computing in Cardiology" 2018 in Maastricht (The Netherlands)
Ekaterina Kovacheva, Lukas Baron, Olaf Dössel, Axel Loewe: "Electro-Mechanical Delay in the Human Heart: A Study on a Simple Geometry"
Patient Safety Award 2018
Axel Loewe and Olaf Dössel won the Patient Safety Award (2nd place) together with clinical collaborators from University Heart Center Freiburg-Bad Krozingen.
The honored study introduces two novel ECG-based approaches for real-time assessment of success of catheter ablation to terminate perimitral flutter.
3rd place at Gips-Schüle junior scientist award 2018
Axel Loewe for his dissertation Modeling Human Atrial Patho-Electrophysiology from Ion Channels to ECG - Substrates, Pharmacology, Vulnerability, and P-Waves
Semi-Finalist Rosanna Degani Young Investigator Award, Conference „Computing in Cardiology“ 2017 in Rennes (France)
Nicolas Pilia, Olaf Doessel, Gustavo Lenis, Axel Loewe, ECG as a Tool to Estimate Potassium and Calcium Concentrations in the Extracellular Space
Bill and Gary Sanders Poster Award, Conference „Computing in Cardiology“ 2017 in Rennes (France)
Axel Loewe, Emanuel Poremba, Tobias G. Oesterlein, Nicolas Pilia, Micha Pfeiffer, Olaf Doessel, Stefanie Speidel:
An Interactive Virtual Reality Environment for Analysis of Clinical Atrial Arrhythmias and Ablation Planning
KIT Doctoral Award, Karlsruhe, July/12/2017
KIT acknowledges outstanding doctoral researchers with the KIT Doctoral Award. One of the three prizes for the academic year 2015/16 was awarded to Axel Loewe who is with the Institute of Biomedical Engineering for his PhD thesis „Modeling human atrial patho-electrophysiology from ion channels to ECG: substrates, pharmacology, vulnerability, and P-waves“. [See Video]
Best Poster Presentation: Kentucky Academy of Science 2016, Student Research Competition, Computer and Information Sciences,
Eura Shin, Emanuel Poremba, Olaf Dössel, Axel Loewe: "Automated Initiation of Fibrillatory Excitation in Monodomain Simulations“
1st place in student competition at the "DGBMT Anniversary (DACH) 2016 in Basel: Axel Loewe, Robin Andlauer, Olaf Dössel, Gunnar Seemann: "Effect of Left Atrial Hypertrophy on P-Wave Morphology in a Computational Model“
Awards at the Conference „Computing in Cardiology“ 2016 at Vancouver (Kanada)
Rosanna Degani Young Investigator Award: Axel Loewe, Robin Andlauer, Olaf Dössel, Gunnar Seemann, Pyotr Platonov: „Left Atrial Hypertrophy Increases P-Wave Terminal Force Through Amplitude but not Duration“
Bill and Gary Sanders Poster Award: Axel Loewe, Bhawna Verma, Armin Luik, Claus Schmitt, Olaf Dössel: „Regional Conduction Velocity Calculation based on Local Activation Times: A Simulation Study on Clinical Geometries“
Mortara Fellowship: Gustavo Lenis, Axel Loewe
1st place in student competition, DGBMT annual conference 2014, Hannover,
Y. T. Lutz, A. Loewe, M. Wilhelms, O. Dössel, G. Seemann.
Submitted paper: Specific antiarrhythmic therapy for familial atrial fibrillation in a numerical model of human atrial electrophysiology.
Preis für das beste Doktorandenposter im Rahmen des Cardiac Physiome Workshop in Bar Harbor, USA, 2013
Axel Loewe, Mathias Wilhelms, Jochen Schmid, Mathias J. Krause, Fathima Fischer, Eberhard P. Scholz, Olaf Dössel, Gunnar Seemann
"A Hybrid Optimization Approach for the Adaptation of Cardiac Ion Current Formulations"
2nd place in student competition, BMT, 2013 Graz, Axel Loewe, Mathias Wilhelms, Fathima Fischer, Eberhard P. Scholz, Olaf Dössel, Gunnar Seemann,
submitted paper: "Impact of hERG Mutations on Simulated Human Atrial Action Potentials"
Best poster award on the conference Computers in Cardiology at Hangzhou: A. Loewe, W. H. W. Schulze, Yuan Jiang, M. Wilhelms, O. Dössel
Determination of optimal electrode positions of a wearable ECG monitoring system for detection of myocardial ischemia: a simulation study; Computing in Cardiology, vol. 38, pp. 741 - 744, 2011
Please find details about my group's research at the Computational Cardiac Modeling page.
- Biophysical Journal (2019)
- Cardiovascular Research (2018)
- Clinical Medicine Insights: Cardiology (2019)
- Computers in Biology and Medicine (2018)
- Computing in Cardiology Conference (2017, 2018)
- EP Europace (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- Frontiers in Physiology (2017, 2019)
- IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering (2016, 2019)
- International Journal of Clinical Cardiology (2017)
- Heart Rhythm (2017, 2018, 2019)
- Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing (2016, 2017, 2019)
- Medical Research Council, UK (2018)
- PLOS Computational Biology (2017)
- PLOS ONE (2019)
- Simulation: Transactions of the Society for Modeling and Simulation International (2018)
BMT: Annual Meeting of the German Society for Biomedical Engineering (DGBMT)
- 2018 (Aachen, Germany) - Presentation “Sudden cardiac death in hemodialysis patients: severe sinus bradycardia due to hypocalcaemia as a potential pathomechanism”
- 2017 (Dresden, Germany) - Presentation "Optimal ECG Lead Systems to Maximimze Left Atrial Information Content"
- 2016 (Basel, Switzerland) - Poster "P-Wave Terminal Force Is Affected by the Site of Earliest Right Atrial Activa-tion and its Proximity to Inter-Atrial Connections Independent from Atrial Size"
- 2015 (Lübeck, Germany) - Presentation "Understanding the cellular mode of action of vernakalant using a computational model: answers and new questions"
- 2014 (Hanover, Germany) - Presentation "Influence of chronic atrial fibrillation induced remodeling in a computational electrophysiological model"
- 2013 (Graz, Austria) - Presentation "Impact of hERG Mutations on Simulated Human Atrial Action Potentials" (2nd Prize Student Competition)
BPS: Biophysical Society
- 2019 (Baltimore, USA) 63rd Annual Meeting - Poster "Sinus Bradycardia Due to Electrolyte Changes as a Potential Pathomechanism of Sudden Cardiac Death in Hemodialysis Patients" (Early Career Travel Award Winner)
- 2018 (Berlin, Germany) Thematic Meeting "The heart by Numbers" - Poster "The Challenge of Transferring in vitro Calcium Concentrations to Models Reflecting in vivo Conditions"
CARP: CARP User Workshop
- 2018 (Bordeaux, France) Talk "Open Source CARP"
CinC: Computing in Cardiology
- 2018 (Maastricht, The Netherlands) - Talk “A Heterogeneous Formulation of the Himeno et al. Human Ventricular Myocyte Model for Simulation of Body Surface ECGs"
- 2017 (Rennes, France) - Poster "An Interactive Virtual Reality Environment for Analysis of Clinical Atrial Arrhythmias and Ablation Planning" & Poster "Left Atrial Information Through the Optimization of ECG Lead Systems"
- 2016 (Vancouver, Canada) - Presentation "Left Atrial Hypertrophy Increases P-Wave Terminal Force Through Amplitude but not Duration" (Winner Young Investigator Award)
- 2014 (Boston, USA) - Presentation "Optimization of pharmacotherapy for familial atrial fibrillation in a numerical model of human atrial electrophysiology"
CMBE: Computational & Mathematical Biomedical Engineering
- 2019 (Sendai City, Japan) - inivited presentation "The Inverse Problem of Cardiac Mechanics - Estimation of Cardiac Active Stress from Endocardial Motion Tracking"
CPP: Cardiac Physiome Workshop
- 2016 (Seoul, Korea) - Presentation "P-wave terminal force is affected by site of earliest right atrial activation"
- 2015 (Auckland, New Zealand) - Presentation "In-silico Assessment of the Dynamic Effects of Amiodarone and Dronedarone on Human Atrial Patho-Electrophysiology"
- 2013 (Bar Harbor, USA) - Poster "A Hybrid Optimization Approach for the Adaptation of Cardiac Ion Current Formulations to Voltage and Patch Clamp Data" (Best Graduate Student Poster)
deRSE: German Conference for Research Software Engineering
- 2019 (Potsdam, Germany) - Workshop "Herausforderungen für die nachhaltige Entwicklung, Bereitstellung und Pflege von Forschungssoftware in Deutschland" & Poster "The SuLMaSS Project: Development of a Sustainable Open Source Software Package for Cardiac Electrophysiology"
EMBC: IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference
- 2019 (Berlin, Germany) - Presentation "Inter-Species Differences in the Response of Sinus Node Cellular Pacemaking to Changes of Extracellular Calcium" & Special Session Organizer "Computational Cardiac Modeling at the Interface of Engineering and Clinics"
FIMH: Functional Imaging and Modelling of the Heart
- 2015 (Maastricht, The Netherlands) - Presentation "Left and Right Atrial Contribution to the P-wave in Realistic Computational Models"
GRC/GRS: Gordon Research Conference / Gordon Research Seminar on Cardiac Arrhythmia Mechanisms
- 2019 (Lucca, Italy) - Chair of the Gordon Research Seminar on Cardiac Arrhythmia Mechanisms
- 2019 (Lucca, Italy) - Poster "The Challenge of Transferring in vitro Extracellular Calcium Concen-trations to Models Reflecting in vivo Conditions"
- 2017 (Ventura Beach, USA) - Presentation (GRS) / Poster (GRC) "Influence of Electrolyte Concentration Changes on Sinus Node Function - A New Player Regarding Sudden Cardiac Death in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease?"
GYSS: Global Young Scientists Summit
- 2019 (Singapur) inivited participant, Poster "Severe Sinus Bradycardia Due To Electrolyte Changes As A Pathomechanism Of Sudden Cardiac Death In Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis"
HRS: Heart Rhythm Society Scientific Sessions
- 2018 (Boston, USA) - Poster "Severe Sinus Bradycardia Due To Electrolyte Changes As A Pathomechanism Of Sudden Cardiac Death In Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis"
ICIAM: International Congress of Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- 2019 (Valencia, Spain) - Invited Presentation "The inverse problem of cardiac biomechanics: estimating active stress distribution through imaging-driven computational modeling"
MEC: Cardiac Mechano-Electric Coupling and Arrhythmias
- 2016 (Freiburg, Germany)
TRM: Theo-Rossi-di-Montelera Forum on Computer Simulation and Experimental Assessment of Cardiac Function
- 2017 (Lugano, Switzerland) - Talk "Validation upside down - in-silico models to sound the potential and limitations of diagnostic tools"
- 2015 (Lugano, Switzerland) - Poster "P-wave morphology is affected by site of earliest right atrial activation: a simulation study"
- 2013 (Lugano, Switzerland) - Poster "Fast Marching Simulation of Atrial Excitation: Towards Personalized Ablation Planning"
Session chair "Cardiac Mechanics and Heart Failure" for Computing in Cardiology conference 2017
Session chair "Atrial Fibrillation Drivers & Targets" for Computing in Cardiology conference 2018
Co-chair for the Gordon Research Seminar on Cardiac Arrhythmia Mechanisms 2019
Chair of Invited Session "Computational Cardiac Modeling at the Interface of Engineering and Clinics", IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference 2019
- "Validation upside down - in-silico models to sound the potential and limitations of diagnostic tools", TRM Forum, Lugano, Switzerland, 04 December 2017
- „Multiscale modeling of cardiac electrophysiology”, School of Science and Engineering, Reykjavik University (RU) / Háskólann í Reykjavík (HR), Iceland, 30 August 2017
- "In-silico Assessment of the Dynamic Effects of Amiodarone and Dronedarone on Human Atrial Patho-Electrophysiology", Workshop "Emerging mathematical topic in biology and life sciences", Research Core Area "Modeling and Simulation", Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, Austria, 07 May 2015
- "Modeling human atrial patho-electrophysiology: genetic defects and pharmacological agents", Simula Cardiac Modeling Workshop, Oslo, Norway, 06 November 2014
- "Multiscale in silico modeling of human atrial electrophysiology", Computational Cardiology Lab (Prof. Natalia Trayanova), Institute for Computational Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA, 03 Sep 2014 via Contact scholarship of Karlsruhe House of Young Scientists (KHYS)
- "Multiscale computational cardiology", Computational Physiopathology Unit (Prof. Stefano Severi), Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Engineering “Silvio Cavalcanti“, University of Bologna, Italy, 29 Jun 2016 via DAAD-MIUR joint mobility program